Tuesday 26 April 2011

Open Shed...

It's been one of 'those' days..... lots of trivial little things going wrong. Nothing that really matters that much - we caught the builders just in time before they put the lintel in too low over a door, the dog had his stomach pumped after eating rat poison and the farmer refused to give us a right of way to our field ........

This little trio cheered us up however.....
Having been reunited with Peggy and Eileen, our blue maran hens, this week we had a keen, and rather magnificent visitor from next door. We've named him Colin after our neighbour....and after the last cockerel who came to a sticky end. It would be fun to have chicks but I guess we have to wait for one of the hens to go broody.

Yesterday was fabulous. Our 'open house' or rather 'open shed' gathered lots of lovely friends on the lawn for cream teas, cake and tours of our building site. So relaxed, sunny and properly English. Days like that make all the hard work worthwhile. Sadly I don't have many photos as I was too busy filling the kettle, but these are some of the people who stayed on for a barbeque afterwards.
The lawn is a dustbowl at the moment. It's about to be sowed with grass seed and repaired after all the trenches we've dug. I can't wait to see it greening up again. I hope the rain comes soon!

Ian, meanwhile, can't wait for rain and has been trying out our new 'solar shower' - basically a black plastic bag you leave in the sun for a few hours. It was sheer coincidence (I think) that our neighbours and also some visitors walked into the garden at the precise moment he launched into his shower...... I think I'll stick to going down the road to my parents'.